Legislation and Central Authority
France signed the Hague Convention on Protection and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption on 5 April 1995 and ratified it on 30 June 1998. The Hague Convention became effective in France on 1 October 1998.
The Central Authority of France under the Hague Convention is the Intercountry Adoption Service (Service de l’Adoption Internationale) at the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.
The Intercountry Adoption Service monitors the compliance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child of 1989 and the Hague Convention of 1993 and has strategic, regulatory and control functions.
Among the main functions if the central authority are: monitoring of the relationships between the countries and the Central Authorities of the various countries; signing of bilateral agreements; developing of strategies for international cooperation; control of the activities of the French Adoption Agency (l'AFA) and the licensed adoption agencies.
In order to be able for the French families to apply to adopt in Bulgaria, they must have an approval to adopt. The following persons may apply for approval to adopt:
- Prospective adoptive parents who are French citizens and live in France;
- Prospective adoptive parents who are foreigners and live in France;
- Prospective adoptive parents who are French citizens but live abroad.
Bulgaria is a party to the Hague Convention and the French families who wish to adopt from Bulgaria shall contact either a licensed accredited agency in France or to send their dossier to the French or to send their dossier to the French adoption agency (http://www.agence-adoption.fr/home/).
Who can adopt?
- Adoptive parents can be married couples who have been married for at least 2 years. Each of the adoptive parents shall be at least 28 years old;
- Single parents can also adopt. They shall be at least 28 years old;
- The adoptive parent shall be at least 15 years older than the adopted child;
- French citizens can adopt children younger than 15 years of age.
Recognition of the adoption
The full adoption of a child from a country, party to the Hague convention, such as Bulgaria is automatically recognized in France.
Kasih Bunda France • AYUDA • French adoption agency (AFA)